Terpenes are plant chemicals found in oils, spices, fruits and vegetables. In the cannabis plant, terpenes are pharmacologically active and impact the effect of cannabinoids. Terpenes are also responsible for the smell or aroma of the cannabis plant and have their own unique characteristics.
- Pinene: found in pine; helps with inflammation, alertness and memory
- Limonene: found in lemons; increases the effects of THC and CBD and has anti-depressant and anti-inflammatory activity
- Myrcene: found in hops; helps with insomnia and muscle tension
- Linalool: found in lavender; helps with relieving pain, inflammation, insomnia and anxiety
- Beta-caryophyllene: found in black pepper; helps with pain, inflammation, anxiety and depression